The study on “Survey, evaluation and characterization of Binjharpuri breed of cattle” made by Orissa Livestock Resources Development Society(OLRDS), supported by Dept. of Animal Breeding and Genetics, Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology, Bhubaneswar stronglyadvocates for improvement of this breed through selective breeding for the benefit of the farmers. This is also supported by earlier reports publishedby different authors at different times.
To initiate the conservation and improvement process of these valuable germplasm, selective breeding can bring sustained development in productivity of these animals in its native tract. Moreover, the survey and physical characterization study conducted by OLRDS concluded that, enough relative variability exists amongst animals for the traits of interest, which can well be exploited through selective breeding to ensure increased productivity to these animals under prevailing management system.
The present project is envisaged at following objectives.
- In-situ conservation of Binjharpuri breed of cattle.
- Improvement of production and reproduction performance of this breed by introducing high quality bulls in the native tract through selective breeding
Maintenance of nucleus herd to produce elite bulls
- Selection of elite females and males true to breed characteristics.
- Maintenance of nucleus herd.
- Production of elite bulls.
- Performance study of bulls in the field.