Maintenance of nucleus herd to produce elite bulls
- 1.Selection of elite females and males true to breed characteristics.
- 2.Maintenance of nucleus herd.
- 3.Production of elite bulls.
- Performance study in the field.
Parameters to be studied
The production potential of this breed will be studied basing on following parameters (i) Lactation length (ii) Lactation yield (iii) Daily milk yield (iv) Fat % (v) SNF % (vi) Dry period.
The following reproduction traits will be studied (i) Age at sexual maturity (ii) Weight at Sexual maturity (iii) Age at first calving (iv) Gestation length (v) Calving % (vi) rate of conception (vii) Calving interval etc.
c) Draft Quality:
The draft quality of the breed will be studied by exposing the individual to different agricultural and transportation operations.
Operational Guideline for implementation of the project
- The selective breeding programme of native cattle germplasm of Orissa will be done for 5 years with all scientific recordings and may further be extended for definite result to be achieved.
- The selection process of elite breeding females will be conducted for one year. In this process 5 sub-centres each in 5 major centre will be selected depending on availability of potential cows.
- The local AVAS/ JVO /NGO personnel will be the supervising officer and responsible to look after the entire operation.
- The Project Coordinator in consultation with the Sub Divisional Veterinary officer will finalise the area and the selection of enumerator. One enumerator (Gomitra/local youth/MPCS Secretary/NGO worker) will record milk yield of 20 cows for whole lactation length at fortnight interval. The Supervisor will cross check the recording at least in 10% cases.
In some area other than the above centers, if potential animals are detected, the Supervisor will cross check and immediately appoint Enumerator to record the milk data with the usual remuneration. However, the number of animals should never exceed 10 per enumerator.
In the process of selection of elite animals, the Consultant Geneticist will monitor each and every step so as to ensure procurement of quality animals.
- 10% of the breeding females will be replaced every year initially for two years and then every two years in the nucleus farm.
- The nucleus-breeding farm will be targeted to be pioneer so far individual cattle breeds are concerned.
- The molecular genetics studies will be carried out in department of animal breeding & genetics Orissa Veterinary College, O.U.A.T, Bhubaneswar, after developing the facilities.
- The outstanding males and females if at all will be detected in the native tract will be brought to the nucleus herd and the replaced breeding stock will be sent to the farmersâ€™ flocks, thus ensuring open nucleus breeding system.
PHOTOGRAPH OF MOTU CATTLE